Here is a handy guide to troubleshooting why your Agency Lead Generator widget could be broken or not working as you expected.
Before we look at various troubleshooting tips to help identify the issue, let's first understand the make-up of your Agency Lead Generator widget.
How does Agency Lead Generator work?
When you create an Agency Lead Generator widget within your account, you get a script like the one below to add to your web page.
<script data-widget-id="1f92157ad7ca6a5bc5d257d90d3e6d95e79cd3ae" src="https://www.local-marketing-reports.com/m/assets-v2/lead-gen/js/external/widget-builder.js"></script>
When added to your web page and loaded, it generates an iframe (similar to what YouTube uses to allow embedded videos), which then loads the Agency Lead Generator widget within it.
Nonetheless, the separation is not always perfect. There can be some interference and this is the reason why you are reading this guide today.
Please note: Because the Agency Lead Generator widget runs within an iframe, it is difficult to track actions and interactions with the widget without modifying the widget code, which currently is a feature not available in our platform.
To add to the complexity, your Agency Lead Generator widget isn’t an average static iframe. It's dynamic. Dynamic in the sense that it reacts to the size of the container you place it in, and the size of the browser window whether it's desktop or mobile.
When a lead searches for their business in the “Business Name” search box, it loads the dropdown list of businesses.
The dropdown is in fact another iframe loading inside the parent iframe. It is this dynamic nature of your Agency Lead Generator widget that makes it incompatible with certain website builder platforms. They support static iframes only.
Now, that we understand that the Agency Lead Generator widget is a dynamic iframe, let's try the following troubleshooting methods to figure out why your Agency Lead Generator widget is not working as you would expect it to:
- Make sure the widget code you downloaded from your account has not been modified in any way (no line breaks, etc). Your modifications could be interfering with the widget. Take a fresh copy of the code from your account, and without modifying it, paste it on your web page.
- Make sure the widget code was pasted in the source code of your web page via the Code Editor and not through the Visual Editor.
- Make sure you are not previewing the web page as the widget may not always appear when you are making edits to the page. Try saving the changes, and logging out or viewing the web page in incognito mode.
- If you have any 3rd-party plugins installed on your website, try disabling them one by one to find the culprit interfering with your widget.
- Also, as mentioned earlier, the widget does not work with certain website builder platforms as they do not support dynamic iframes.