We gather citations by querying Google and directories with the business data that's provided in the report settings (name, address and phone number). We run a series of searches with this data to return listings. Occasionally, Google and other directories can return a different business with a similar name or address.
We're constantly working to improve this process to remove false positives completely, but there are occasionally edge cases that need to be manually updated.
What to do if this happens
You can manage your citation list to help you organize and make notes of the directories returning incorrect results, as well as update them with accurate information.
If the correct listing already exists on the directory:
1) Go to the tab that's showing the incorrect listing. This will be either 'Top Citations' or 'Active Citations'.
2) Find the incorrect listing and click the 'Citation Information' button (three dot symbol)
3) In the 'Update Citation' popup, copy and paste the correct listing URL for this directory into the 'Url' field.
4) Click the 'Status' dropdown field and select Active.
5) Leave any notes you'd like to in the 'Notes' field, but bear in mind that these are not connected to our separate Citation Builder service.
6) Click 'Update Citation' button to save the amended citation.
If there is not an existing citation for this directory:
1) Click the 'Status' dropdown and select either 'Potential' or 'Pending.
2) Leave any notes you'd like to in the 'Notes' field, but bear in mind that these are not connected to our separate Citation Builder service.
Click the “Update Citation” button to save any changes.
Once you have the listing live (if desired) you can take the URL and update the report by following the steps in the section 'If the correct listing already exists on the directory' above.