Citations are gathered by querying Google and other directories featuring the business data that's provided in the report settings (name, address and phone number).
After we've run a series of searches with this data to return listings, Google and other directories can sometimes return a different business with a similar name or address. We're constantly working to improve this process — and to remove false positives completely — however there are occasionally edge cases that need to be manually updated.
What should I do if this happens?
Managing your citation list will help you to organize by making notes of the directories returning incorrect results. You can also update them with accurate information.
If the correct listing already exists on the directory:
1. Go to the tab that is showing the incorrect listing — this will be either 'Key Citations' or 'Live Citations'.
2. Find the incorrect listing and click the 'Citation Information' button (the three-dot symbol shown below within the red box).
3. In the 'Citation Information' popup, copy and paste the correct listing URL for this directory into the 'URL' field (indicated below by the red box).
4. Make sure the 'Citation Status' dropdown field is set to 'Live Citations'.
5. Add any helpful comments in the notes field at the bottom of this popup. Please note: These are not connected to our separate Citation Builder service.
6. Click the green 'Update Report' button to save the amended citation.
If there is not an existing citation for this directory:
1. Click the 'Not your business' bin icon button (indicated below within the red box) and it will remove the business we grabbed, but not the citation.
2. If you are waiting for the citation to go live, click the 'Status' dropdown and select 'Pending'.
3. Finally, click the 'Update Report' button to save any changes.
Once you have the listing live (if desired) you can take the URL and update the report by following the steps in the above section: 'If the correct listing already exists on the directory'.