What are Duplicate Listings?
'Duplicate listings' are additional (extra) listings that a business has on a citation site that display the same information, or different (i.e. incorrect) information as their main listing.
Why are Duplicate Listings bad?
Having duplicate listings with different/incorrect information creates confusion for users and Google.
- Which listing is correct and which one should they trust?
Having duplicate listings with the same/identical information can also create confusion if users see both of them, and they lead to other problems such as -
- the business has to remember to update their info on multiple listings, rather than just the one;
- customers can write reviews on different listings rather than concentrating them on one, single listing which would be more useful and positive for the business
How are the removed in a Citation Builder campaign?
When we find duplicate existing listings on a citation site, there are three potential routes we'll take to get them removed:
1) Create an account, claim the existing listing and delete it directly
2) Submit a removal/update request via web-form. We give evidence of duplication and cite your website/Google My Business listing as proof of incorrect data
3) Email site editors to request removal/update of listing. We give evidence of duplication and cite your website/Google My Business listing as proof of incorrect data
If we don't achieve duplicate removal with these approaches, then we may use a final tactic of claiming a listing and altering the business details so there is no connection to your business, stopping it from being a duplicate. However, this is a last resort as it's not really helpful for users or the directory.
How successful is duplicate removal?
Typically we expect to see 60-80% success rate when we remove duplicates.
Achieving 100% is an almost impossible task; while we take all possible actions to remove duplicate listings we are often reliant on website editors to actually remove the listings from their sites. We don't control the sites and we can't dictate that they take action because we don't pay a fee for the listings. Therefore we can’t guarantee the success of duplicate removal on all sites.